Muscle at Monterey: '69 Dart GTS 440Mecum Auctions, very rare '69 Dart GTS
August 9 2010 01:47 PM
The muscle keeps rolling at Mecum's Monterey auction this coming weekend...including one of the rarest (and nicest) A-Body cars anywhere.
In 1969, Chrysler’s reputation for producing purpose-built street/strip terrors was perfectly embodied in the exceptionally rare 1969 Dodge Dart GTS 440.
Prepared by the Hurst-Campbell Corporation under license from Dodge, the GTS 440 was assembled from 383-specification Dart GTS rolling stock and 440/375 HP Magnum engines equipped with four-barrel carburetion. While a total of 640 1968 and ’69 Dart GTS 440 coupes were built as part of the factory’s Super Stock competition program, only 41 1969 examples are now listed in the M-Code Registry.
The Yellow on Black GTS 440 offered here is a highly awarded member of that group and is also listed as #417 in the GTS Registry. A lifetime California resident, it is one of 20 sold by West Coast performance mega-dealer Saddleback Dodge, who also sponsored Charlie Allen’s popular Dart funny car. It has never been tubbed or modified and retains all its original body structure, sheet metal and engine, including the all-important original 440 block with the correct “M” code stamping.
The car’s authenticity has been verified by both Frank Remlinger and Galen Govier, and it has been expertly restored to as-new condition, a fact confirmed by its stellar collection of awards including Best of Show, Stock Class at the John Force 2009 Holiday Car Show; A-Body Best of Show and World’s Ultimate Stock Mopar at the 2010 Mopars at the Strip Las Vegas. Perhaps most impressively, it earned Best of Show, Stock Class and Best A-Body at the prestigious 2010 Spring Fling, an outstanding accomplishment. These and a string of other significant awards serve as proof of this outstanding Mopar's status as a premiere GTS 440, indeed one of the best Mopars, in existence.
- Rare factory 1969 M code 440 powered GTS Dart
- 1 of 20 440 GTS sold from Saddleback Dodge Santa Ana, CA
- Has remained in sunny dry California its whole life
- Never tubbed or modified for track use
- Retains original sheet metal, rear quarters, wheels wells, frame rails and floor pans
- The unique 440 block with matching VIN stamping is still present
- Highest level restoration performed brings GTS to near new condition
- Recipient of the 2010 Worlds Ultimate Stock Mopar
- Best of Show A-Body at Mopar’s at the Strip Las Vegas
- Recipient of 2010 Spring Fling event champion Best of Show Stock plus Best A body
- Recipient of 2010 Orange County Goodguys event Staff Choice award
- Recipient of Cal-Rods car show 2010 Best Stock Muscle Car
- Recipient of John Force 2009 Holiday car show event Best of Show stock class
- Verified and registered in the GTS registry #417 by Frank Remlinger
- Verified, registered and decoded by Galan Govier at GTS
- 440 cubic inch, 4 barrel, 375 horse power, 480 ft lbs torque, 3:55 performance axle, 727 Torqueflite transmission
- There are only 41 M code GTS registered in the M code registry
- The awards won prove this GTS to be one of the best GTS to exist and one of the best Mopars to exist
(Courtesy Mecum Auctions)